Coda File System

Re: root volume

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:38:32 -0500
On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 01:18:53PM +0100, Major A wrote:

> Hello once more,
>
> Why isn't the root volume replicated? Or did I just misunderstand the
> manual?
>
> Also, is there a possibility of changing the replication status of a
> volume? That is, if I have a replicated volume on a single Coda server, is
> it possible to install another machine and just mirror the entire server
> on the second machine? Is this simply done by editing /vice/db/VSGDB,
> just adding a hostname?

Hi again,

The root volume is just like any other volume, it's only difference is
that it's name is stored in /vice/db/ROOTVOLUME, and a client has a nice
RPC call which it can use to ask a server for the contents of that file.

So to create a replicated rootvolume, create a replicated volume, and
stick the name in /vice/db/ROOTVOLUME (on the SCM, it should then be
automatically propagated to all other servers).

Oh, by the way, you'll confuse the hell out of the clients until they
have been reinitialized (the -init flag does the trick, or create an
empty /usr/coda/venus.cache/INIT file before restarting).