Coda File System

Re: quota

From: Major A <andras_at_physcip.uni-stuttgart.de>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 11:38:43 +0100 (MET)
> It was probably the partition on the client with /usr/coda/venus.cache
> that ran out of space. Venus is only informed of the the size of the
> file after the last close. This is great for performance, but makes all
> forms of disk usage control pretty soft. So the venus.cache size is a
> soft limit, and so are the quotas.
>
> This has been discussed on this list so many times, that I'm amazed you
> haven't seen any of those discussions yet ;)

Thanks a lot. Sorry for not finding the relevant posting, but I have only
recently subscribed to the Coda list and was too lazy to browse the 1998
archive.

Does the "soft" cache limit mean that I can grab, say, an audio CD to
coda, provided there is enough free space on the cache partition,
regardless of the cache size? What about reading from that file
afterwards? (My greatest concern about Coda on my machine at home is the
possibility of copying CDs etc.).

Another question is: is there a plan to get hard quotas working? This
would be paramount for a potential application in our cluster.

Thanks,

     Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: 1. andras_at_sticks.phy.bris.ac.uk
            2. andras_at_physcip.uni-stuttgart.de
    www:    http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/andras