Coda File System

Re: coda test server (dns problems)

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 16:54:01 -0500
On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 04:28:11PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I've had dns trouble too, that I never figured out.  This has been on
> FreeBSD-3.3/i386, with sources compiled from recent CVS on the same
> machine.

Shafeeq noticed this on two freebsd-current machines as well. It was
exceptionally strange that even single stepping with gdb didn't provide
a solution. A small testprogram (with identical hostname lookup code)
worked perfectly. Doing a ktrace showed some errorcodes during the
transmission or reception of the DNS packets. I don't know if he ever
managed to figure out what was wrong.

> On a semi-related note, it would be cool if venus stored the ip
> address and root volume name in RVM, so that one didn't have to
> hard-code the startup call for disconnected startup.  These could be
>
> With the apparent dns bug fixed and this change, one would simply have
> to run venus the first time when on the net, and thereafter all would
> just work.

Actually it does store server ip's and the rootvolume name in RVM. But
venus likes to double check the rootvolume when it starts, so you'll see
a 15 second pause before it continues.

And venus always tries to resolve the hostnames in the vstab file. For
this there are 2 solutions. Either add them to /etc/hosts, or specify
ip-addresses in the vstab file.