Coda File System

Re: stability?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:04:49 -0500
On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 12:23:41PM +0100, Bud P. Bruegger wrote:
> >I think most people find it runs without a hitch. But most of all its
> >recommended you set it up in a test environment and see for yourself. :)
>
> That sounds great!  I'll try it!
>
> Can I mount root filesystems from CODA (like NFS-root)?
>
> Is it possible to have diskless workstations use Coda instead of NFS?

No, Coda uses the disk as a cache, as it is useful to have 100MB or more
cached during disconnected operation.

On the other hand, there doesn't need to be much on the local disk. A
small root filesystem that bootstraps the machine, sets up the network
and starts the Coda client (Venus). From that point on the whole /usr
and /home hierarchy could be coming out of the Coda file system.