Coda File System

compression

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_fnord.ir.bbn.com>
Date: 08 Mar 2000 07:54:37 -0500
Now that I'm running Coda over IPsec, I realize it would be very nice
if Coda were able to apply gzip or something to the bulk file
transfers.  I realize I could use IPcomp, but it seems better to allow
reuse of compression context across the whole application data unit.
I don't know how hard this would be, but I thought I'd mention it so
that it can get put on the wish-list for future redesign thoughts - I
suspect keeping this in mind when redoing side-effects for TCP would
make an eventual implementation of file-level compression a lot
easier.

        Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>