Coda File System

Re: compression

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 11:49:01 -0500
On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 07:54:37AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Now that I'm running Coda over IPsec, I realize it would be very nice
> if Coda were able to apply gzip or something to the bulk file
> transfers.  I realize I could use IPcomp, but it seems better to allow
> reuse of compression context across the whole application data unit.
> I don't know how hard this would be, but I thought I'd mention it so
> that it can get put on the wish-list for future redesign thoughts - I
> suspect keeping this in mind when redoing side-effects for TCP would
> make an eventual implementation of file-level compression a lot
> easier.
>
>         Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>

Hi Greg,

Good suggestion, I've actually looked at compressing the shadow files
that we currently always make before backfetching with zlib. It should
not be that hard. The only thing is that the server double-checks the
size of the transferred data, so I would either always decompress after
receiving an update on the server, or add a compressed-flag/size field
to some of the internal structures.

If the server doesn't have to do compression/decompression saves server
CPU cycles. On the other hand, probably weakly connected clients might
be interested in fetching compressed files even if they were not
originally compressed on the server. While a strong client might not
want to waste it's time on the compression/decompression.