Coda File System

Re: Setting up a readonly root

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:04:02 -0500
On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 05:05:54PM +0000, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:
> According to the documentation, it should not be difficult to
> set up a root volume which is readonly.  I have followed the
> instructions to create a readonly volume, and I know I have done
> so, because I can mount it, read everything in it, and I can't
> write to anything in it.
>
> (Just to be clear, I used volutil to clone, dump, and restore
> the root volume.)
>
> Then I put the volume name in /vice/db/ROOTVOLUME, stopped
> everything, and restarted everything.  Would you believe,
> I can still write in the root directory!  What is missing from
> the instructions?
>
>      -- Owen
>      LeBlanc_at_mcc.ac.uk

I guess those instructions are a bit outdated, readonly volumes do not
have versionvectors and can not be cached by Coda clients. Which is kind
of annoying for your root volume during disconnections.

You can remove all ACL's except for "System:Anyuser rl" which pretty
much makes the root volume read-only. (System administrators can still
add an ACL whenever they need write permission).