Coda File System

Setting up coda 5.3.6 on Red Hat Linux 6.1 with 2.2.14 kernel.

From: Robin Hunt <robin_at_nt.sharenet.co.za>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:37:37 +0200
Hi

I have been trying to setup coda (server) on the above system for a while
now with no success. I installed coda-server via rpm's. I can get neither
client nor server to work.

We are behind a firewall, but there are no restrictions on in/out traffic

On the client side:

Attempting to cmon to the CMU test server results in "No binding" being
displayed, nothing changes beyond that.  venus-setup seems to run with no
problems. I also can't connect to any servers on my local network.

On the server side:

vice-setup seems to fail towards the end when attempting to write to the
data file with

Rdsinit will initialize data and log.
This takes a while.
rvm_initialize succeeded.
Going to initialize data file to zero, could take awhile.
done.
?  ERROR: rds_zap_heap RVM_EOFFSET.

It also seems to fall over attempting to write to /vicepa with:

11:55:16 VGetPartition Couldn't find partition /vicepa
Error getting partition named /vicepa. Check vicetab.
done.

A directory does exist by this name.

If I start the server after that, no errors are reported in the SrvLog
files, all that is logged is :

11:56:32 Starting Update Worker 0
11:56:32 Starting Update Worker 1
11:56:32 Update Server started Wed Mar 29 11:56:32 2000

Interestingly enough, attempting to run startserver results in:

[root_at_nis06 rpm]#  startserver &
[1] 675
[root_at_nis06 rpm]# Can't open Log Device: No such file or directory

I would appreciate any help. I have attached the results of running
vice-setup at the end of this email.

Regards

Robin Hunt
Cape Town
South Africa

The machine is a dual pentium II - 333 with 1/2 gig of RAM.

[root_at_nis06 rpm]# vice-setup
Setting up config files (under /vice).
Directories under /vice are set up.

Setting up tokens for authentication.
The following tokens must be identical on all servers.
Enter a random token for auth2 authentication : 12345678
The following tokens must be identical on all servers.
Enter a random token for volutil authentication : 12345678
tokens done!

Setting up the file list for update
filelist for update ready.

Populating /vice/vol...
lockfiles created.
/etc/services already has new services registered! Good.
/etc/services ready for Coda
Is this the master server, aka the SCM machine? (y/n) y
Now installing files specific to the SCM...

Setting up servers file.
Enter an id for this server.
The serverid should be a number between 0 and 255 *avoid 0, 127, and
255*
serverid: 1
done!
Initializing the VSGDB to contain the SCM as E0000100
/vice/db/VSGDB set up

Setting up ROOTVOLUME file
Enter the name of the rootvolume (< 32 chars) : nis06

Setting up users and groups for Coda

You need to give me a uid (not 0) and username (not root)
for a Coda System:Administrator member on this server,
(sort of a Coda super user)

Enter the uid of this user: 1
Enter the username of this user: robin
An initial administrative user robin (id 1)
with Coda password changeme now exists.

You need a small log disk partition, preferrably on a disk by itself.
You need a metadata partition of approx 4% of you filespace.

For trial purposes you may give oridnary files instead of raw
partitions. Keep all size small if you do this.
Production servers will want partitions for speed.

WARNING: you are going to play with your partitions now.
verify all answers you give.

WARNING: these choices are not easy to change once you are up and running.

Are you ready to set up RVM? [yes/no] yes

What is your log partition? log.part

The log size must be smaller than you log partition.
We recommend not more than 30M log size, and 2M is a good choice.
What is your log size? (enter as e.g. '2M') 2M

What is your data partition (or file)? data.part

The data size must be approx 4% of you server file space.
We have templates for servers of approx: 500M, 1G, 2.2G, 3.3G, 8G
(you can store less, but not more on such servers).
The corresponding data sizes are  22M, 44M, 90M, 130M, 315M.
(use 315M only on very fast machines)
Pick one of the defaults, otherwise I will bail out

What is the size of you data partition (or file)
[22M,44M, 90M, 130M, 200M, 315M]: 22M

WARNING: DATA and LOG partitions are about to be wiped.

  --- log area: log.part, size 2M.
  --- data area: data.part, size 22M.

Proceed, and wipe out old data? [y/n] y

LOG file has been initialized!

Rdsinit will initialize data and log.
This takes a while.
rvm_initialize succeeded.
Going to initialize data file to zero, could take awhile.
done.
?  ERROR: rds_zap_heap RVM_EOFFSET.
Error in rdsinit. Exiting.

Your server directories will hold the files (not directories).
You can currently only have one directory per disk partition.

Where shall we store your data [/vicepa]? /vicepa
Shall I set up a vicetab entry for approx 256000 files for /vicepa (y/n) y
Now initializing the partition. This takes a while....

Date: Wed 03/29/2000

11:55:16 VGetPartition Couldn't find partition /vicepa
Error getting partition named /vicepa. Check vicetab.
done.

Server directory is set up!

Congratulations: your configuration is ready...and now
to get going do the following:
 - start the auth2 server as: auth2
 - start rpc2portmap as: rpc2portmap
 - start updateclnt as:  updateclnt -h nis06.sharenet.co.za -q coda_udpsrv
 - start updatesrv as: updatesrv -p /vice/db
 - start the fileserver: startserver &
 - wait until the server is up: tail -f /vice/srv/SrvLog
 - create your root volume: createvol_rep nis06 E0000100 /vicepa
 - setup a client: venus-setup nis06.sharenet.co.za 20000
 - start venus: venus
 - enjoy Coda.
[root_at_nis06 rpm]# auth2
[root_at_nis06 rpm]# rpc2portmap
[root_at_nis06 rpm]#  updateclnt -h nis06.sharenet.co.za -q coda_udpsrv
Creating /vice/spool
[root_at_nis06 rpm]#  updatesrv -p /vice/db
[root_at_nis06 rpm]#  startserver &
[1] 675
[root_at_nis06 rpm]# Can't open Log Device: No such file or directory

[1]+  Done                    startserver
[root_at_nis06 rpm]#