Coda File System

Re: Getting backups to work

From: Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc_at_mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:45:08 +0100
On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 11:31:40AM +0100, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:
>> I guess you need something like this in /vice/db/vicetab.
>
> I had this:
>
>      # cat /vice/db/vicetab
>      avl   /vicepa   ftree   width=64,depth=3
>
> Judging from the examples you gave, and the virtually identical
> example in the vicetab(5) file, I added the line
>
>      avl /backup backup
>
> to my vicetab.  This failed with a message saying that the
> partition was malformed.  I then edited the vicetab and
> put in the line
>
>      avl /vicepa backup
>
> This merely causes backup.sh to hang when it runs.

It occurred to me that for some obscure reason the backup
system may demand a partition of its own.  I tried this, and
it worked.  The note in the documentation says that in the example
there 'The directories in the sample vicetab are assumed to be
separate local disk partitions.'  I must confess that I did not
realise this meant that the directores in a real vicetab _must_
be separate local disk partitions if the backup system is to work.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc_at_mcc.ac.uk