Coda File System

New User: several questions

From: Tom Unger <unger_at_tumtum.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 08:52:37 -0700
I'm exploring possible distributed file systems for use by a small
development group.  We are located in three different sites, connected
through VPNs routed over the internet.  NFS requires too much bandwidth
to be really usable.  I originally thought that the Andrew File system
might be the thing to use.  When I went to look for that I found the
coda file system.  It seems like a good candidate except for all the
warnings that it should not be used for "production".

We are a small development group and can tolorate _some_ instability,
but not too much.  Would coda be suitable?

Is the Andrew File System still out there somewhere and would that be a
suitable alternative?

I got the server and client working on a linux system. I then installed
the clinent on a lap top running win98.  the client works, but 'clog'
crashes with a stack overflow.  I saw someone else asking about this on
the codalist.  Perhaps I could get the fix for it?

Thanks,

--

Tom Unger
Seattle