Coda File System

Non-tiny files unavailable

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 18:39:10 +0900 (JST)
For the first time I tried accessing the coda file system over a Linux
IP masqueraded link and found that only files below some size (not
exactly known, something more than 2000 bytes, I think) would be
transferred.  Those files were reliably transferred, anything larger
would get a string of 3 "server tleepslib.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp nak'ed"
messages and then give up.  It didn't matter whether the connection
was presumed to be strong or adaptive.

For the small files I would occasionally (rarely) get the "server
tleepslib.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp nak'ed" message, but at most once; all
small file transfers always succeeded.

The network configuration is

     server (tleepslib.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp; runs codasrv and venus)
				  ^

				 LAN

     router (turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp; runs venus, and Linux IP
		    masquerading for the PPP link)
				  ^

		       PPP over 14.4 kbits POTS

     client (uwakimon.localnet on a private network; runs venus)

Coda is 5.3.6 (plus a few patches more or less from CVS updates within
2 weeks of the release of 5.3.6, I can get exact versions if needed).
Linux kernels are 2.2.10 or 2.2.14, custom configured for my needs but
unpatched; in particular, I'm using the stock coda.o modules.

I wondered if this might be related to Greg Troxel's MTU size patch
for IPSec tunnels and mobile IP.

Oops, looking at /usr/src/linux/.config ... what happened to
CONFIG_IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAG?