Coda File System

Re: Non-tiny files unavailable

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:17:19 +0900 (JST)
I wrote:

  For the first time I tried accessing the coda file system over a Linux
  IP masqueraded link and found that only files below some size (not
  exactly known, something more than 2000 bytes, I think) would be

    Greg> I'm surprised it worked that well.  I suspect that the basic
    Greg> rpc2 is working through masquerading, and that the side
    Greg> effects are not.  I'd suggest hacking the masquerading to
    Greg> make it also masq the -se ports merely from having seen the
    Greg> forward traffic on the regular rpc2 ports.  (Run tcpdump on
    Greg> a venus with a real address to figure things out.)

Is this something desirable for itself?  I eventually plan to move to
a VPN using ssh tunnels (available "stock" in a Linux HOWTO), or maybe
IPSec, to satisfy local firewall policy (to be implemented at a future
date).  So maybe I'll just do that sooner rather than later, and avoid
learning how to build a special masquerade module.  But if there was
general interest I might do the MASQ module.

    Greg> I suspect that the limit is that if the reply (rpc2 ack from
    Greg> read, plus data) fits in 2900 bytes, it works - that's the
    Greg> size the rpc2 lib uses by default for a single IP packet,
    Greg> which then gets fragged.

Thanks for the confirmation, that's what I had guessed.