Coda File System

Re: Coda client won't start (RH 6.1 + 2.2.14)

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 16:13:50 -0400
On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 01:24:17PM +0200, WEB-Networks wrote:
> Thank you both for the quick reply, but it is none of these solutions.
> Their are no other programs running using /coda and /coda is umounted. It
> never was mounted because it didn't work a single time. What does the
> HDBDaemon do exactually.
>
> Joost

Hoi Joost,

The only way venus can get killed here is because the child process that
was forked off to mount /coda failed to do so and killed it's parent.

There are many possible reasons for this, although we do try to catch
most cases earlier during the startup.

- Does the kernel module get loaded succesfully?
- Are there any errors in /usr/coda/etc/console?
- Try `venus -d 10' to get some more debugging information, the log
  really doesn't seem to indicate that anything went wrong at all.

- Have you tried connecting to the server we have set up here at CMU,
  there might actually be a server setup problem where it has a problem
  getting the information of the rootvolume from the server and cannot
  create a correct inode for /coda.

 (venus-setup testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu 40000)