Coda File System

Re: Inappropriate ioctl for device

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:38:27 -0400
On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 11:52:08AM -0700, Jui-Pin Hsu wrote:
> * 11:36:24 Kernel version ioctl failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)!

This is not an error.

> 11:36:25 Initial LRDB allocation
> 11:36:25 Getting Root Volume information...
> 11:36:26 Venus starting...
>
> Also, then I hit the enter key, venus is killed as the following line:
>
> [2]+    Killed             venus

That is not related to either hitting the enter key or the failed ioctl.
The child fails to mount /coda and therefore kills the parent process.

Are there any errors in /var/log/messages, is the coda kernel module
loaded, are there error messages in /usr/coda/etc/console or
/usr/coda/etc/venus.log?

Normally this is caused by an already running venus process that hasn't
closed it's connection to the kernel. Sometimes the kernel module fails
to load, but it could even be that the /coda directory/mountpoint
doesn't exist.