Coda File System

Re: a few questions

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 18:45:54 -0400
On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 03:28:58PM -0700, Matt Emmett wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm quite interested in running Coda, but I have a few questions:
>
> Why do the installation scripts default to /usr/(venus)|(vice) and not
> /var/(venus)|(vice) ?  I thought that administrators preferred to put
> things like caches, databases, and logs into /var.  The venus cache
> seems like it fit nicely into /var.

The reasons are mostly historical, the linux filesystem standards didn't
exist 12 years ago, and are still Linux specific. However, the debian
package for the Coda client in ftp.coda:/pub/coda/linux/debian actually
already places it's files the way you describe it.

> I have a fairly mature Debian box, and I'm getting a laptop.  Is is
> easy to make the existing home directories on my Debian box Coda
> volumes?  Is it possible to do something like: mount /home/memmett
> /coda/home/memmett?

Not as far as I know, although I saw something mentioned on the
linux-fsdevel list about 'mount -t bind' which would be possible with
later development kernels that would be able to mangle up such a
namespace binding.