Coda File System

Re: Unknown RPC2 return code 103

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:22:02 -0400
On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 09:24:20PM +0200, Juergen Arndt wrote:
> hello everybody!
>
> i tried to install a coda server on a RedHat 6.1 system with a 2.2.12 kernel.
> if i want to create the root volume i get the following error message:
>
> # createvol_rep coda:root E0000100 /var/vicepa
> Servers are (wotan )
> HexGroupId is 7F00001E
> creating volume coda:root.0 on wotan
> V_BindToServer: binding to host localhost

Check your /etc/hosts, it is wrong. The ip-address for wotan should not
be 127.0.0.1.

> 20:07:47 VGetPartition Couldn't find partition /var/vicepa
> 20:07:47 VCreateVolume: Cannot find partition /var/vicepa. Bailing out.

The server tries to match it's directories in the vicetab file, but as
/etc/hosts is bad it couldn't find any. Restart the server after fixing
that file.

> now my questions: is it a MUST, that /var/vicepa has to be partition? on my
> system it is a normal directory in the /var partition. i tried to manage the

No, /vicepa doesn't have to be a partition, but is often useful because
when you run out of space in a partition it won't affect the rest of the
system.