Coda File System

Comments on documentation/naming

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:27:05 +0900 (JST)
I guess the online User and Administration docs at www.coda.cs.cmu.edu
are the new stuff converted to DocBook?  I noticed the following two
points, which I don't think are really bugs but you might want to
address (in the FAQ, maybe):

1.  The man pages used to be available from www.coda.cs.cmu.edu, I
    forget where because they used to be so easy to find!  I can't
    find them now....  (They're not installed on my system, I guess
    because I forgot to do `make man' or something.)

2.  There is another program named `au', part of the Network Audio
    System (NAS) suite.  Since I have the coda stuff installed in
    /usr/local, /usr/bin/au shadows /usr/local/sbin/au.

3.  `startserver' seems like a terrible name for precisely the same
    reason:  it seems really likely to get shadowed and/or overwritten
    by another package.

Maybe the installer should have a "verbose names" option, so that
`startserver' -> `start-coda-server-daemons', `au' ->
`coda-auth-tool', etc.  Alternatively, subdirectories could be created
for the coda tools (although I suspect that may violate some systems'
file naming policies).