Coda File System

Re: Write Disconnected volume - another problem

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:32:21 -0400
On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 11:42:48AM +0200, Piotr K. Isajew wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 01:02:48AM +0200, Piotr K. Isajew wrote:
> > I tried to reconnect this volume as ReadWrite, but "cfs wr" and "cfs
> > reconnect" gives no effect.

You probably have not yet reintegrated any changes made during a
disconnection.

> > Here is output for cfs lv for those two machines:
> > Wrong one:
> > piotrek_at_pki$ cfs lv piotr.prv
> >   Status of volume 0x7f000001 (2130706433) named "piotr"
> >   Volume type is ReadWrite
> >   Connection State is WriteDisconnected
> >   Minimum quota is 0, maximum quota is unlimited
> >   Current blocks used are 204664
> >   The partition has 1958099 blocks available out of 3935419
> >   Write-back is disabled
> >   There are 126 CML entries pending for reintegration
                ^^^^^^^

Yup, as long as there is a modification log waiting to be reintegrated,
the volume will stay write-disconnected. Check if you have tokens,
without proper authentication the client cannot reintegrate.

> > I checked contents of this volume and it appears that there are no
> > conflicts beetween replicas (atmost there are no symbollic links on
> > this volume).
> > What should I do to mount this volume ReadWrite on both clients.

$ clog
$ cfs forcereintegrate <path/to/volume>

> I tried unmouting/salvaging/remouting the volume involved, and finally
> managed to mount it with status as "Connected". But now I'm unable to
> change anything on it. System gives me "Read-only filesystem"
> message. Does someone of you knows what to do to bring this volume to
> RW state again?

Ehhh, _what_ did you do? I'm not sure what you did, but it sure sounds
like you managed to trash the server. This is from the volutil manpage,

I really hope you didn't try to use 'volutil salvage'.

"""
BUGS
       The salvage option to volutil doesn't work right.   Please
       don't try it.
"""

Last time I tried it, it wiped the container files from underneath the
volumes. The directory structure is still there, but any file-contents
is gone, lost forever.