Coda File System

Re: stable version?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:26:44 -0400
On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 08:39:02AM -0500, Corey R. Halpin wrote:

>   I'd like to vote against the FAQ-o-matic, and just have a real coda FAQ..
> I'm willing to maintain it if no one else will.
>   Anyway, what (if any) version of coda is considered stable?  Does it follow
> the same version scheme as the Linux kernel?  (eg x.odd.y is devel, and
> x.even.y is stable)
>
> thank you,
> crh

Initially it started off that way, but in real life every version is
both development and a little bit more stable than the previous one.
There are some releases where development resulted in reduced stability,
such as the 5.3.8 release which still has some unresolved issues.

But I have still been able to crash both clients and servers in every
release ever since I started to work on Coda. It just seems to be
getting a bit more difficult to crash now than before. Two years ago, it
was impossible to untar the Coda source tree into /coda, now this has
become reasonably reliable. But maybe that is only becaused the size of
the Coda tarball has been slowly shrinking ;)

It is impossibly to say how stable Coda is, people are very flexible and
learn to avoid doing things that hurt them. Any new user seems to always
find at least 2 or 3 serious problems.