Coda File System

Re: vstab ignored?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:18:39 -0400
On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 08:34:07PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> I'm trying out a recent CVS version of Coda.  Trying to start the new
> venus without -init failed (I guess I'm not surprised).  Then when I
> tried it with -init, it failed with a complaint about "CommInit, no
> bootstrap server" or something like that.  Starting with the -h
> argument pointing at my SCM (actually the localhost) worked.
>
> Doesn't venus pay attention to /usr/coda/etc/vstab any more?  `strings
> venus | grep vstab' came up empty....

Yes, sorry. We've been moving all the vstab configuration (and more) to
/etc/coda/venus.conf. The vstab reading code is gone now.

If you did make install (or make client-install) there should be a file
/etc/coda/venus.conf.ex and a script /usr/sbin/codaconfedit. In that
case it is easy to get the vstab parameters into the venus.conf file.

e.g. vstab was:
/coda:/dev/cfs0:codaserver1,codaserver2:/usr/coda/venus.cache:100000:1

Then the commands to create the equivalent venus.conf are,

    codaconfedit venus.conf rootservers codaserver1,codaserver2
    codaconfedit venus.conf cacheblocks 100000

and optionally because these are the defaults anyways,

    codaconfedit venus.conf mountpoint /coda
    codaconfedit venus.conf kerneldevice /dev/cfs0
    codaconfedit venus.conf cachedir /usr/coda/venus.cache

The venus.conf file also has a lot of comments around the various options.