Coda File System

Failure to set up RVM for large partition

From: Bruce Guenter <bruceg_at_em.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:28:56 -0600
Greetings.

I am trying to set up the RVM log and data partitions for a 9GB disk,
using the 315MB RVM template.  I am using version 5.3.10 on Linux kernel
2.2.16.  I can successfully set up any of the 22, 44, or 90MB template,
but 130MB and over fail.

I did a strace on rvminit, and it fails when it tries to mmap a large
chunk of memory:

	mmap(0x50000000, 117440512, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)

Is this a known coda bug, a kernel bug, or operator error?  What can I
do to fix the problem?

Thanks.
--
Bruce Guenter <bruceg@em.ca>                       http://em.ca/~bruceg/