Coda File System

Re: venus: can't find root volume name

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:44:24 +0900 (JST)

    Jan> Find servers on startup problems are almost invariably a
    Jan> result of missing entries in /etc/services, broken name
    Jan> resolution, or occasionally operator error (oops, forgot to
    Jan> plug in the network cable).

You forgot "upgrading to Coda 5.3.9 or higher".

I admit that I upgrade my Debian unstable Linux distro regularly, and
Debian unstable unfortunately displays monotonically increasing
entropy.

That said, Coda is the only application whose host finding behavior
has broken recently, it broke across a Coda upgrade on a running
system (no reboot), not a Debian update, and the problem seems common
among many platforms.  I hope you won't ignore Greg Troxel's
hypotheses.

Even if it is my name service, I can't figure out what might be going
wrong, as everything else works.