Coda File System

Re: bad parent pointer - codasrv won't run

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:01:47 -0500
I tried to deal with the pointers with norton, and things seemed to
get worse.  But I'm not sure, since I only saw the first error before.

I think norton's create operation sets the parent pointer in the child
vnode, which is broken when one is adding .. to a directory itself.

After fixing all this, I had lots more errors.  I tried to skipsalvage
the volume and purge it, but then I had even more trouble with some of
the frees in the purge on salvaging.
I am now reinitializing my server completely, and I'm going to restore
from backups.

So I'm guessing that my rvm got messed up in some major way.  This
could have been such a rename.  Due to IPSEC and IKE flakiness I end
up disconnected and reintegrating a lot.

It may also be that my server was messed up from a long time ago.
I'll hope I'll be ok with a fresh start.

Thanks for the help.