Coda File System

Stability of Coda on linux

From: David Parker <david_at_neongoat.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:30:36 -0800
After investigating NFS and trying it out for a couple days, I'm finding the
whole system very kludgey (RPC, statd, lockd, portmap, oh my!), and the lack of
good security worries me. I'm considering replacing it with Coda, but after
browsing some of the docs I'm having second thoughts.

I'd appreciate hearing other people's real-world experiences with running coda
on Linux on a production server, including stability, memory requirements
(somewhere the FAQ said the server takes up lots of memory?), and general
performance. Is it practical to run a coda server and client on a box that
already has high utilization? I'm running a network of Debian Linux 2.2 boxes (2
servers, 2 clients) and all of them have codafs compiled as a kernel module. I
basically won't be using any advanced features; I just want something that, at a
minimum, includes the same functionality of NFS.

Also, do coda and reiserfs play nicely together?

Please cc: any responses directly to me, since I'm not subscribed to this list.
Thanks!

David

-------
david_at_neongoat.com
www.neongoat.com
PGP Key ID/Fingerprint:
0xF90FFFE5 / F362 51F7 6D51 85EB AF68 75B9 D29B 1AFC F90F FFE5
-------