Coda File System

Re: Venus (?) problem ...

From: Petr Tuma <ceres_at_nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:11:24 +0100 (MET)
Hello Greg !

> Does venus still function - can you 'cd /coda && ls' ?

Somewhat :) the /coda directory is mounted, the kernel module is loaded,
the venus executable is in memory and not a zombie (obviously does
something because the log grows too). Trying to do cd /coda gives
"Permission denied" though, even to root.

> Does venus still communicate with the servers in an unauthenticated
> mode?  Can you 'cfs cs'? What does 'codacon?' say? What does 'cfs lv'
> say?  Are you disconnected?

Any attempt to use cfs ends with "Permission denied" on /coda, strace
reports error "Permission denied" on opening /coda/.CONTROL. Codacon
reports stuff about server bandwidth and validating volumes when Venus
starts, nothing that would look suspicious, but stops reporting a short
while (roughly 10 seconds on a fast machine) after Venus starts, with the
last message being about server bandwidths.

> When one client fails, are the others still connected? Can you fetch
> new files (make some with System:AnyUser rl permissions)?

No client works now.

> If you have built from source, gdb the venus binary and attach to the
> process, and look at the backtrace?

I used RPM packages. Debugging is probably the last step when all else
fails ...

> shutdown venus (vutil shutdown) and restart it.  Does this help? Are
> auth2 and codasrv running on the server?  Are they ok?  Does
> restarting them help?

Restarting does not help. All servers that are supposed to run seem to be
running, Auth2 reports authentication attempts in its log as it should,
CodaSrv also seems to work OK.

> What operating system?  What version?  What venus version?

RedHat Linux 6.2, Kernel 2.2.17 (or 2.2.16 on one server I think), Coda
installed from the 5.3.10 RPM packages.

Still baffled :-(

Petr Tuma