Coda File System

Re: coda in 'production' systems?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:37:20 -0500
On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 11:10:05AM +0000, rowe_at_excc.exeter.ac.uk wrote:
> First, may I say that coda looks really good, and thanks to all those
> who have written it (and are still working on it).
>
> I run a cluster of linux boxes for a research group in a physics
> department and I'm trying to work out whether we should be using
> coda rather than NFS. It certainly looks good but I'm unable to
> find anybody else who is using it for 'work' systems.
>
> My users are computational physicists who essentially spend their
> whole day logged in and if the system is down they can't do an awful
> lot. (On the other hand, we're not trying to run a bank or a
> mission-critical database.) NFS hasn't given us many problems that
> can't be fixed by a reboot.
>
> So, my question is, are there many people out there who are using coda
> for their work systems?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Here at CMU we have Coda running as a production system, there are about
20 users that are not involved in Coda development. Ofcourse whenever
there is any trouble they can simply walk into the office of the "guy
that broke it" and give him a good smack on the head ;)

The main obstacle that I've observed is the initial learning curve. Coda
is definitely not as trivial to use as NFS. There generally is a 2 week
to 1 month adaptation period in which users are brutally confronted with
the best and worst that Coda has to offer and the "survivors" end up
adjusting their usage patterns to be a lot more `Coda friendly'.