Coda File System

Re: What's the proper steps to resize RVM ?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:57:06 -0500
On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 10:43:28AM -0500, Brad Clements wrote:
> Seeing as private mmaps don't work in linux on raw partitions, I
> shutdown all coda processes and used vice-setup-rvm to resize the
> RVM data and log.
>
> Seems I have missed a crucial step, since the server now can't find my
> volumes after it comes up.

Ehh, vice-setup-rvm doesn't do resizing, only reinitialization. There is
a norton-reinit, which can dump the fileserver related contents of RVM
into a dumpfile and restore it into a freshly initialized RVM segment.

> [root_at_eiger]# cat /vice/vol/BigVolumeList
> P/vicepa Heiger.murkworks.com T29b00c F29aff8
> Wroot.0 I1000002 H1 P/vicepa m0 M0 U2 W1000002 C3a6cabe1 D3a6cabe1 B0 A0
> Wu.bkc.0 I1000003 H1 P/vicepa m0 M0 U2 W1000003 C3a6cada9 D3a6cada9 B0 A0
>
> The manually volumes are there, but I guess I need to re-integrate these
> into the RVM.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this, or should I start over?

If you didn't save state before, starting over is the only option. Your
RVM data segment is scrubbed clean.