Coda File System

Re: cfs flushcache .. what to use to flush venus contents to server?

From: Brad Clements <bkc_at_murkworks.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:33:29 -0500
On 25 Jan 2001, at 15:18, Jan Harkes wrote:

> Does it show anything about CML entries pending for reintegration in the
> cfs lv output?

bkc_at_vondane]$ cfs lv /coda/projects/mpg
  Status of volume 0x7f000003 (2130706435) named "p.mpg"
  Volume type is ReadWrite
  Connection State is Connected
  Minimum quota is 0, maximum quota is unlimited
  Current blocks used are 15
  The partition has 2324668 blocks available out of 2732044
  Write-back is disabled

> If the client is write-disconnected, make sure you have tokens and try
>
>     cfs fr <dir>	(aka. forcereintegrate)

[bkc_at_vondane]$ cfs fr /coda/projects/mpg
  VIOC_SYNCCACHE: Invalid argument
  VIOC_SYNCCACHE returns -1

Do I need to reboot system after installing client? I did not.

> > Also I'm seeing a lot of Cache Overflow on the B client . this is before
> > writing data to the volume, I was just reading from another volume..
>
> That is unusual, a client should refuse to get anything that would
> exceed available cache-space. Cache Overflows are normally associated
> with writing, the client only "realizes" how big a file as after it is
> closed, and at that point it might be bigger than the cachesize or quota
> would allow.

What's strange is that the overflow is only from reading..

9:54:51 Getting Root Volume information...
09:54:51 Venus starting...
09:54:51 /coda now mounted.

09:55:29 root acquiring Coda tokens!
12:16:59 Cache Overflow: (1519, -36)
12:17:34 Cache Overflow: (1519, -36)
12:18:10 Cache Overflow: (1519, -3220)
12:18:40 Cache Overflow: (1518, -4564)
12:19:15 Cache Overflow: (1518, -4564)

... <snip>

12:40:12 Cache Overflow: (1649, -4553)
12:40:23 Reintegrate: p.mpg, 2/2 records, result = SUCCESS

<snip>

12:49:57 Auto Writeback on volume p.mpg is now enabled
12:50:24 Cache Overflow: (1650, -4553)
12:50:26 Propagating updates to all volumes
12:50:59 Cache Overflow: (1650, -4553)

<snip>

Looks like a cache overflow every 30 seconds until about 13:25, which
was 45 minutes before writing to the new volume.

Brad Clements,                bkc_at_murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
netmeeting: ils://ils.murkworks.com               AOL-IM: BKClements