Coda File System

failure to compile 5.3.11

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:20:03 +0900

    Stephen> during ./configure I get the following errors:

    Stephen> checking for dbopen in -ldb... no
    Stephen> checking for dbopen in -lc... no
    Stephen> chekcing for dbm_open in -lc... no
    Stephen> configure: error: failed to find libdb

In their infinite wisdom the glibc developers (aka Red Hat) have
removed Berkeley DB support from glibc.  This was done to force Coda
to upgrade from DB 1.85, which after all is "not bleeding edge".

You may have to hack configure and/or the makefiles.

Or maybe you can just get away with ln -s libdb1.so /usr/lib/libdb.so
(or similar).

(Debian hosed its "unstable" users with this about 4 months ago; I
don't know squat about Red Hat, but I've been waiting for the
squeals....)