Coda File System

Re: Coda totally breaks the file system

From: Ha Duong Minh <minh.ha.duong_at_cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:00:32 -0500
> I don't see why this is a problem.  It's not that many links;
> I don't see any way to avoid links with current Coda technology, since
> there can only be one /coda per machine.  So you couldn't mount coda
> on both /home and /usr/share (and AFAIK mounting somewhere other than
> /coda is not all that well tested).

I agree this may not be many links, but let me explain two problems:

1/ No documentation of how to integrate Coda in an infrastructure.
In my case, and I suspect it's representative, I am discussing wether we
shall use Coda in our research lab with a fellow PhD student that is highly
computer litterate, but does not has an experience in network
administration. We can't find real-world examples showing how it is
actually used in practice. And we don't feel like reinventing the wheel.

2/ Psychology:
Giving away a large chunk of hard disk space is not something I do
everyday. Mounting anything new under / is something I have _never_ done.
Moreover, I can't see any rational reason why coda does not mounts by
default as  /mnt/coda. You know people tend to fear what they do not
understand.

Now adding 1+2 together, my friend's judgment was "it totally breaks the
file system" and I could not have a valid answer.

Minh.