Coda File System

Re: Coda totally breaks the file system

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_fnord.ir.bbn.com>
Date: 16 Feb 2001 07:31:36 -0500
Please keep in mind that all the world is not Linux.  FHS is bandied
about as if it were a universal rule for all computers.

On BSD, /mnt is typically used to mount random/occasional stuff, and
is therefore not available for permanent mount point.

I'm running coda on FreeBSD and NetBSD.  Under /coda I have projects
and home, with project and user volumes, respectively.  Were I
sufficiently comfortable with coda for production (I'm not yet, plus I
use IPsec which makes it harder), I would probably leave /home a real
directory and symlink individual users into /coda/home/user, since
whether to have a 'real' homedir or a nfs/coda one is individual
choice.

Putting all of /usr on coda would be interesting.  In the BSD
philosophy, /usr is capable of being read-only and shared across
machines.  Probably one would need to symlink /usr/local/etc and so on
back to /etc/local from within the shared /usr.

There is a mild argument for avoiding mounts in /.  Long ago, I used
systems with fs foo on machine bar in /nfs/bar/foo.  This had the
advantage that 'ls -l /' didn't hang the system in the case of a dead
server.  With coda, this should be temporary and only last 30 seconds
or so when it goes down, so this isn't so serious.

        Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>