Coda File System

Re: File transfers in the clear?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:46:32 -0500
On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 10:52:57AM -0600, Drew Bernat wrote:
> I was doing some packet sniffing on my home network this morning, and I
> noticed that the coda file transfers (server->client at least) are done in
> the clear. Is there any way to do some sort of encryption? I've been known
> to connect from remote sites, and I don't really want the contents of my
> home directory to be readable by everyone. I'm using coda 5.3.12
> currently.

There is no real encryption available for Coda. There is some sort of an
XOR encoding, which was implemented to provide a basis for strong
encryption, but the last time I tried that it broke the filetransfer
sideeffect SFTP. So plugging in encryption is probably not that simple.

There are some people in Germany who are (were?) working on a more
secure RPC2 implementation,

    http://phobos.fs.tum.de/coda/