Coda File System

Re: R: User administration

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:26:31 -0500
On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 05:16:54PM +0100, Steffen Neumann wrote:
> "Andrea Cerrito" <ml_at_centromultimediale.it> writes:
>
> > What is the problem with
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > pdbtool <<EOF
> > first command
> > second command
> > third command
> > n command
> > EOF
>
> Well,
> if I got it right it won't allow me
> to set the password. Sure, everything else can
> be automatized.
>
> For passwords you need the command "au",
> which asks for passwords.

Correct.

I'm actually trying to merge the functionality of 'au' and 'pdbtool' in
such a way that we'll end up having a user-interface similar to pdbtool,
but which works as a remote client connecting to the auth2 daemon. It
should become the central point for all user and group administration,
pretty similar to the role of 'pts' in AFS.

Once we have this, it will be possible for users to create and manage
their own groups (provided their groupquota allows them to create any).
And an administrator can perform all the actions necessary to add users,
groups, initial passwords, and mount new user volumes from his desktop.
Only the creation of user volumes would still be performed on the SCM.