Coda File System

Re: Volume mounting problem

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:33:54 -0500
On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 08:08:53PM +0200, Emmanuel Varagnat wrote:
> 3) purgevol_rep users.my_user
>
> And I recreated it :o)
> But then, I got this:
> lrw-r--r--    1 codaadm  nogroup        15 Mar 27 20:02 pottier ->
> #users.pottier
>
> I read that I must run bldvldb.sh and volutil makevrdb on the SCM.

If you recreated the volume using the createvol_rep script the
bldvldb.sh and volutil makevrdb steps should already have been done for
you.

> I got that:
>
> joyeux:/vice/db# bldvldb.sh
> Fetching /vice/vol/Volumelist from joyeux

What version of Coda are you using? Here bldvldb.sh start up with
"Fetching volume lists from servers:".

> V_BindToServer: binding to host joyeux
> VLDB completed.
> joyeux:/vice/db# volutil makevrdb /vice/vol/VRList
> V_BindToServer: binding to host joyeux
> VRDB completed.
> joyeux:/vice/db#
>
> But the VRDB and VLDB file on simplet doesn't seem to be updated.

This part was the 'pull', where the SCM collects all information from
the machines in the Coda cell. The second part is where the updateclnt
on the other servers discover that their versions of /vice/db/VRDB and
/vice/db/VLDB are outdated.

Check whether updatesrv is running on the SCM, and the updateclnt
daemons are running on all servers (including the SCM).

> 2 questions more:
> 1) Is there an equivalent for 'volutil -h host getvolumelist' now ?
>    I found that in the mailing list

Bldvldb.sh should be using that volutil command to get volume
information. Maybe there is an installation conflict, where you are
using an old /usr/sbin/bldvldb.sh, while the newer version is in
/usr/local/sbin.

> 2) vicetab doesn't appear in the /vice/db/files, but I read that it
>    must be populated on each servers. Is it right ?

It doesn't really matter. Here we maintain a separate vicetab on each
server, which is kind of a hassle. Maybe it is easier to have a single
vicetab for all servers, maybe keeping it 'server specific' is better.