Coda File System

Re: Fifos

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:48:57 -0400
On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 10:34:56PM +0200, David Pettersson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to run Licq, but fifo's don't seem to be working properly.
> Will there, or is there ongoing work on these (same semantics as for NFS
> would be just fine).
>
> Sincerely,

We don't have an object type to store fifos, named pipes, unix domain
sockets, or device nodes on the Coda server. Adding this would involve a
lot of changes to clients, servers, and client-server protocols.

All of these also won't be able to provide any functionality between
clients anyway and are only likely to confuse multiple clients that are
trying to create the same fifo, or client that connect to a fifo where
there is nobody listening to it. So I'm very hesitant to introduce them.

Is is possible to create the fifo's on a local filesystem (in /tmp or
/var/tmp)?