Coda File System

Re: volutil rpc2 errors

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 22:17:54 +0930 (CST)
According to Jan Harkes:

>On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 03:10:39PM -0500, Ryan M. Lefever wrote:
>> I'm using glibc-2.1.3-15, and gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux
>> (egcs-1.1.2 release).  These are the ones that come on Redhat 6.2
>
>Puzzled look on my face.
>
>That's pretty much what is used here at CMU as well.
>I can't see what is going wrong here.

Hmmm perhaps an unrelated observation may help here then :-)

I happened to be debugging a malloc'ing problem in some of my own code
on a NetBSD machine so I had set MALLOC_OPTIONS to tell malloc to
always allocate a new memory area on realloc and fill the unused
portion (and the old area) with the value '0xD0'.  Just by chance I
attempted to use clog with this environment and I get:

[blymn_at_rover] clog
username: blymn
Password:
Invalid login (RPC2_NOBINDING (F)).

I _know_ my password was typed correctly and clog does work from
another window that does not have the MALLOC_OPTIONS set so all is
right with my server/venus connection.  To me, this sounds like
someone is doing something naughty with a realloc'ed bit of memory
which could lead to a lot of weirdness.  This is with coda 5.3.5 so
these problems may have been fixed already...