Coda File System

Re: understanding permissions and changing user id's

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:46:24 -0400
On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 06:07:01PM -0500, Kelly Corbin wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about how the permission system works on /coda.  Upon
> copying some directories into /coda, ls -l shows the files as owned by
> the previous respective owners which don't exist as coda users.  Why
> don't the files show up as owned by the coda user doing the copying?  Do
> each of those users need to be logged into coda as a coda user who has
> permissions to that volume?  If so, can they be logged in as the same
> coda user and would they have the same permission granularity as if they
> were on the regular filesystem?

Files that are only opened for writing and closed will be owned by the
userid doing the copying. However, cp -a and tar also do chmod/chown.
Coda allows chown as long as the user has at least administrative (a)
ACL rights on the directory. The permission model in Coda very much
centered around the directory ACL. As the non-Coda userid's are not
listed in the directory ACL, they will not have the same permissions in
the tree copied into Coda, except for System:AnyUser rights, typically
read/lookup (rl) rights.

> Also, I'm trying to change the user id for the administrative user in
> pdbtool, but not all references to that id are changed.  I want to free
> up that id so I can match my current system user ids for consistency
> across the system.  If I change the id and do a 'list', the
> System:Administrators owner id still shows the old value and now I can't
> do anything as the coda admin until I change it back.  Same with any
> groups that are owned by the user whose id I'm trying to change.  Is
> this a bug in pdbtool?

I guess the pdbtools isn't exhaustive enough in hunting down all id's
that need to be renumbered. It will work when the changing userid is
only a member of a group, so yes, this is a bug. I'll look into it.