Coda File System

Docs? was Re: /coda dir is blank, no data showing on Linux client

From: Kelly Corbin <kcorbin_at_theiqgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:04:37 -0500
Many of GiantWEB's problems can be attributed to poor documentation/not
reading the documentation.  Is there any work under way to rewrite the
docs?  Are people needed for this project?

I know I would have saved many hours tweaking/configuring myself if the
documentation had been more clear and thorough.  Additionally, some of
the basic architecture is not explained very well.  I'm talking about
how the server actually stores data in /vicepa, a table laying out RVM
sizes and limitations, etc.; more than just the overview of tokens,
mountpoints, volumes, etc.  The docs can be very unspecific.

Additionally, I see many questions on this list about whether or not
Coda would work in such-and-such situation.  It would be helpful if the
website/documentation addressed some of the
uses/applications/limitations of Coda in more depth and detail as well
as giving real-life scenarios where Coda has been used.

The automatic login question has been asked like 3 times in the last 2
weeks.
If it was not for this list and the archives, I'm sure many Coda users
would have had a much harder time of it. Can the archives be made more
easily searchable?

While I'm at it, I have a couple more questions about the development of
Coda.
1.  Why aren't the man/info pages distributed with the source code?
2.  Is it possible to make the install a little more universal?  I run
Slackware Linux which uses BSD style startup scripts, but the installer
insists on installing the SystemV init scripts simply because it's Linux
(it seems).

My $.02

Thanks!

Kelly

Jan Harkes wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 11:19:35AM -0400, GiantWEB wrote:
>
>> thanks again..
>>
>> got it working.. but I noticed that my second client does not see changes I
>> made with client 1
>>
>> In other words, I made a dir under /coda and filled it with files.. saw that
>> it took it and then created another client.
>> Then client 2 saw all data fine.. then I deleted most of the dir's on client
>> 1 coda file but client 2 still sees files..
>>
>> I thought it updates on the fly?
>

> Not in write-disconnected mode.
>
> Does 'cfs lv /coda/path/to/volume' show anything like "XX modifications
> pending for reintegration"?
>
> 'cfs fr /coda/path/to/volume' should force reintegration for the volume
> that is mounted at /coda/path/to/volume, but only if you have tokens.
>
> Jan

-- Kelly Corbin
-- Systems Administrator
--