Coda File System

Re: "No such file or directory" on connected volume

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:30:03 -0400
On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 03:40:06PM +0200, Steffen Neumann wrote:
> (Server's Client has 250MB Cache,
>  Hoard DB is empty)
> The venus log is filled with "RecordReplacement..."
> The client is connected all the time,
> (I don't know if CPU it goes to its knees
>  and thus response lags are long enough
>  to be considered a "slow" link)

Actually, with a 250MB cache the 'priority-queue' calculations for
cache-replacement can cause frequent burst of high CPU usage which stall
the client long enough to stop responding to server backprobe RPC
messages. It is definitely looking like there is something quadratic
function there, i.e.

100 MB cache = +/-  4000 files = 16million ops  = 1sec  = unnoticable
250 MB cache = +/- 10000 files = 100million ops = 10sec = very noticable

So I wouldn't rule out that the client is 'temporarily disconnected'
when these errors occur, but I'll give it a try to reproduce it here.

Another thing it could actually be is a kernel module problem. Whenever
objects are thrown out of the cache, Coda informs the kernel. However,
with the Linux 2.2 module, the kernel sometimes seemed to ignore these
'purge' requests and the kernel passes stale data to userspace. I just
went through several large parts of our /coda tree, but haven't hit any
"No such file or directory" errors.

> Any ideas ?
> I know, this is stressing coda,
> but that helps debugging it ;-)

Sure does. We already have the basis for something simpler than the
priority queues using multiple LRU queues (multiple, because we still
need to separate 'high priority' hoarded objects from 'low priority'
objects). But I'm still looking to find a better solution for the hoard
daemon, it's namectxts are bound to all objects, even non-hoarded ones.
Even non-hoarded objects have some implicit 'hoard' priority to let the
hoard daemon reestablish callbacks for all objects in the cache.