Coda File System

Re: can't get root volume name

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 00:31:25 -0400
On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 11:28:53AM +0800, hotcola wrote:
> The /coda directory exist,the error occurs after I start 'venus
> -init'. I think if the error related with the coda-kernel-module,Is
> there some posibility? when I issue 'dmesg',the output is :
> -----
> Coda Kernel/Venus communications (module), v5.0-pre1, braam_at_cs.cmu.edu.
> coda_psdev_write: downcall, no SB!
> coda_read_super: rootfid is (0x7f000000,0x1,0x1)
> coda_downcall: opcode 30, no sb!
> Failure of coda_cnode_make for root: error -6
> ----

Your kernel module should be fine. The 2 errors at the end are perfectly
normal. Venus is trying to clear kernel state before the module is
completely set up and the creation of the /coda inode fails with ENXIO.

This is consistent with the fact that venus is unable to find the
rootvolume. It is definitely not a kernel problem.