Coda File System

Re: R: Coda and load-balancing ?

From: Phil Nelson <phil_at_cs.wwu.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 08:52:48 -0700 (PDT)
>> The question is : is this setup possible with Coda ? And how can it
>> be done ?
>
>I think the only load balancing you can have is to set your clients
>to bind differents coda servers. I mean client A bind server A,
>client B bind server B, client C bind server A, client D bind server
>B... and so on.

The best way is to make sure each client web server hoards all the
files that it needs.  This way, the web server doesn't need to get the
files from either server, it just needs to verify it has the correct
copy.  And, if I remember correctly, venus (the cache manager) should
talk to the server with the fastest response.

With the files hoarded, then the servers should be able to continue to
serve files even if all servers went down or the network connection to
the servers was broken.  (Depending on the topology, having the network
connection to the servers broken may not break the network to clients
for the web server.)

--
Phil Nelson                       NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu           Coda: http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu