Coda File System

Re: coda with very large servers

From: <jeremy_at_itassist.net.au>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 01:48:11 +1000 (EST)
On 11 Oct, Zachary Denison wrote:

> In terms of the read any/ write all strategy thats
> exactly what I want.  I do want it to deliver ail to
> all the servers at once.  I want a system exactly as
> yuo said, so that if one location completely loses
> internet connectivity, users outside that location can
> still access the email.  Coda seems to be theonly
> system I know about that has read/write replication.
> Even AFS only supports read/only replication.

(Excuse me butting in)

There is a standard for mail systems called 'Maildirs' which
would work with coda.  It was designed for mail kept on shared drives
(aimed at NFS with its locking probs, IIRC).  A few mail servers use it
(like Courier).

Rather than using a spool file all messages are kept in files, one per
message, with the meta-data in the filename.  Since the mail protocols
don't support editing mail on the server, access to the files is only
ever create or delete, so there shouldn't be any conflicts.

However Jan still has the unbeatable point about the bandwidth you would
need.

--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,