Coda File System

Re: ACLs moved/removed when a directory is moved?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 17:58:10 -0400
On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 03:59:06PM -0700, Randy Harmon wrote:
> Looked in the archive, didn't find any references to these issues:
>
> When you move a directory, should I expect Coda to move its ACLs?  I
> guess that's easy enough to test.
>
> But, more interesting, when I delete a directory, will Coda remove the
> ACLs?

The ACL's are stored as part of the directory metadata. So when you
move or remove a directory this should simply affect the ACLs as well.

Ofcourse when a userspace application 'emulates' the rename by doing a
copy/unlink combination the ACLs are lost because it typically doesn't
know how to copy the ACL part of the metadata.