Coda File System

volume name length limitation

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 11:16:07 +0100 (MET)
Hello!

I would like to understand how hard it would be to relax limitations on
volume name length.

As I want to avoid to maintain a separate mapping database, I'd like to be
able to map mount point path to volume name and back, more or less
directly.

We are using that approach with dfs and I discovered that it doesn't work
with Coda, for the fact that it has only under 32 chars names.

We are using routinely path names up to 100 chars and more...
For instance a software package name like
libfreetype_2.0.2.20010514
is already 26 chars long, and may need to be present as several different
instances (think architectures, compile flags, maintainers or something
else) at different places in the filesysem, far from the root.
How would I safely reserve a volume name for each one?

Cheers,
--
Ivan
stressing filesystems to the limit and beyond :)