Coda File System

Re: volume name length limitation

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 13:27:18 -0500
On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 11:16:07AM +0100, Ivan Popov wrote:
> I would like to understand how hard it would be to relax limitations on
> volume name length.

Hmm, a lot is fixed-size here, storage of volume names in both client
and server RVM, the structure of the VLDB and VRDB files, the
client-server RPC2 calls that deal with volume names.

> As I want to avoid to maintain a separate mapping database, I'd like to be
> able to map mount point path to volume name and back, more or less
> directly.

We use a kind of shorthand, first 1-3 letters indicate the servergroup
that handles the volume (v, vm, or vmm) then a colon as separator and a
one to 3 letter indicator of the volume category, which basically
defines where it is mounted. i.e. my home volume is 'vmm:u.jaharkes' a
triply replicated volume mounted as /coda/usr/jaharkes. The sources for
release 5.3.10 are 'v:pcr.coda-5.3.10' a singly replicated volume
mounted at /coda/project/coda/releases/coda-5.3.10.