Coda File System

Re: coda funding

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:00:21 -0500
On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 09:07:04PM +0100, Floris Slotemaker @ 12Move wrote:
> I know the initiators of Coda left to start a similar
> project called "Intermezzo" ... it may be a good
> thing to rejoin both parties to speed up development
> and work towards some kind of standard.

Actually that is incorrect, Intermezzo was started by Peter Braam who
has been the project leader for a couple of years, however,

The Coda project started as a PhD project about 15 years ago to solve
some minor gripes that users had with AFS at the time. The student was
Jay Kistler, his supervisor was prof. Satyanarayanan. I believe that
Coda was initially developed on the Mach operating system and somewhere
in the early nineties, Coda was initially ported to NetBSD.

At some point Peter Braam (and Michael Callahan?) ported Coda to Linux,
then joined CMU in 1996, while he was here the Windows95, FreeBSD and
Solaris ports were done and the Coda licensing was cleared up and unified
so that everything became GPL, except for the LWP/RPC2/RVM libraries,
which became LGPL licensed. Peter also placed all the groundwork for the
Windows NT/2000 porting effort.

Peter sadly left around the summer of 1999, but still works with us on a
part-time basis and visits Pittsburgh a couple of times a year.

I'm really bad at keeping lists of people that contributed to the
project, but there is a list of the CMU students and visitors at,
  http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/coda/Web/people.html

And then there are the many people that aren't in that list, patches,
fixes, bugreports, ideas, feedback that might have their name hidden
somewhere in the source, or in a CVS changelog entry.