Coda File System

Re: Permission denied

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:48:46 -0500
On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 08:43:07PM +0100, Romain Chantereau wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I installed a coda cell on my personnal computer and a client on a
> laptop...
> Everything was ok until... I don't know, from one day to another, I was
> not able any more to do hoard action (list, add, remove, etc...).
> The only way to do it was being root...

Hoard commands can only be given by root and the 'primary' user of the
system. Now there is no real way of telling who the primary system user
is, so Coda uses the simpel heuristic, whoever is logged into /dev/tty01
(the first virtual console), which ofcourse breaks whenever you use xdm
or log in on any other virtual console, or someone who isn't the primary
user but has an account might log into the laptop on tty01 and mess with
your hoardlist.

So because this heuristic is so fragile we have a simple solution,
specify 'primaryuser=<your userid>', which both lets venus know who
"ownz" the machine and blocks other users from pretending to be a
'primaryuser' when they log in on tty01.