Coda File System

Finally, 5.3.17...

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:50:19 +0900

    Jan> I finally have a feeling that the latest 'stable' snapshot
    Jan> isn't going to crash and burn within 10 minutes after
    Jan> installation. (which the 5.3.16 release did that was up for
    Jan> ftp for about 48 hours before I pulled it).

Well, I don't know about 5.3.16, but I had lots of problems with
5.3.15, and had to give up on it for a while due to lack of time.  I
lost one volume in the switch to 5.3.17, but that was probably due to
it being broken (I kept getting conflicts when doing a CVS checkout of
XEmacs, about 27MB).

I don't know that was a Coda bug.  What may have been happening is
that I was using wrong headers/libs in building the Debian packages.
I was very careful to build, install, build install, ... this time.

Something that does seem buggy: doing a purgevol_rep on it removed it
from the VRList, but not from the BigVolumeList.  Then creating
another volume with the same name gave two volumes with the same name
in BigVolumeList.  I edited out the old one by hand.  Is there a
correct way of getting those lists recreated?

Anyway, I've done two full checkouts (different CVS branches) now with
no problems.  That's a lot of writes in a very short period, but
things seem to have gone OK.  Server and client on same Linux 2.2.18 host.

I don't know when cfs gmt appeared, but I love it.  Quick shell hack:

for i in `cut -f 2 -d ' ' /vice/db/VRList`; do cfs gmt $i; done

Comes in handy when you've been mkm/rmm and create/purge broken
volumes, and don't remember what's currently mounted or where exactly.
But you seem to have to actually list the directories (ie, at the
mount points) to get anything?  When venus first comes up, all you get
is the root volume.