Coda File System

Re: upgrading coda server

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 14:22:42 -0500
On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 06:18:34PM +0100, Florian Schaefer wrote:
> I'd like to upgrade my coda-debug-server-5.3.15-1 and
> coda-debug-client-5.3.15-1 to the current version.
> But as I never did this with a running system, I'd like to know what to
> do.
>
> Is "rpm -U" with all the packages (coda, rpc2, lwp) enough? Or do I need
> to to something special with my configuration und stored data?

rpm -U typically should work fine. RVM and configuration file on the
server are not touched and are typically compatible across versions.
2 caveat's you can't upgrade a running client, first shut it down and
make sure that /coda is not mounted. And Coda client more often require
reinitialization across upgrades due to RVM changes. Make sure that the
CML is written back to the server before upgrading the client.

Reinit for a client is by either starting 'venus -init' or touching
/usr/coda/venus.cache/INIT. Removing all container files in venus.cache
will sometimes be useful too, because a reinitialized venus doesn't know
about them anymore and will only slowly 'recycle' the space until it has
used all container files once before it knows the actual venus.cache size.

When trying to upgrade rpm might be complaining about library
versions because our rpm's were compiled on an older redhat system.
There are 2 rpms in the RedHat distribution which are not installed by
default, compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2.i386.rpm and compat-libstdc++-...,
that contain the old library versions.

Also coda-debug-client-5.3.17 has a silly bug in the postinstall script
and it fails to recreate /dev/cfs0 after the upgrade. Just run
"mknod /dev/cfs0 c 67 0" after installing the coda-client rpm and it
should be fine.

I believe that is about it.