Coda File System

Problem with permissions

From: Ben Rockwood <BRockwood_at_homestead-inc.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:51:12 -0800
Hello.

I recently started playing with Coda and I've run into
a snag.  I've got both client and server setup on one machine.
I can start the server and the client.  And I can even authenticate.
However when I 'cd /coda', and initially there is nothing there of course,
I can't create files..... as any user.  Any ideas of whats wrong here?
(Sorry, I guess this is kind of a luser question, but......)
Here's some details that might help:

[root_at_nexus6 sbin]# ./pdbtool
pdbtool> list
USER System
  *  id: 1
  *  belongs to groups: [ -2 ]
  *  cps: [ -2 1 ]
  *  owns groups: [ -2 ]
USER benr
  *  id: 500
  *  belongs to groups: [ -3 -1 ]
  *  cps: [ -3 -1 500 ]
  *  owns goups: [ -3 ]
USER coda
  *  id: 512
  *  belongs to groups: [ -1 ]
  *  cps: [ -1 512 ]
  *  owns groups: [ -1 ]
USER tammy
  *  id: 514
  *  belongs to groups: [ -3 ]
  *  cps: [ -3 514 ]
  *  owns no groups
GROUP cuddletech OWNED BY benr
  *  id: -3
  *  owner id: 500
  *  belongs to no groups
  *  cps: [ -3 ]
  *  has members: [ 500 514 ]
GROUP System:AnyUser OWNED BY System
  *  id: -2
  *  owner id: 1
  *  belongs to no groups
  *  cps: [ -2 ]
  *  has members: [ 1 ]
GROUP System:Administrators OWNED BY coda
  *  id: -1
  *  owner id: 512
  *  belongs to no groups
  *  cps: [ -1 ]
  *  has members: [ 500 512 ]
pdbtool> quit
[root_at_nexus6 sbin]# clog coda
username: coda
Password:
15:42:21 root acquiring Coda tokens!
[root_at_nexus6 sbin]# cd /coda
[root_at_nexus6 /coda]# ls
[root_at_nexus6 /coda]# mkdir new
mkdir: cannot create directory `new': Permission denied
[root_at_nexus6 /coda]# touch something
touch: creating `something': Permission denied
[root_at_nexus6 /coda]# clog benr
username: benr
Password:
15:42:46 root acquiring Coda tokens!
[root_at_nexus6 /coda]# cd /coda
[root_at_nexus6 /coda]# ls
[root_at_nexus6 /coda]# mkdir new
mkdir: cannot create directory `new': Permission denied
[root_at_nexus6 /coda]# touch something
touch: creating `something': Permission denied

One thing to note: Venus starts just fine.  However, When I start Codasrv I don't see a proccess for it (ps -ef | grep coda).  But I never see complaints about it.  Syslog doesn't seem to show any signs of problems.  The rpc2, auth, and other proccesses run and can be seen just fine......

I'm stumped.

Thanx.

brockwood_at_homestead-inc.com